My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

PUZZLED

I had a very nice email the other day from a lady who left our church earlier this year after being with us from the start. It seems her main issue was that we have changed and become "a salvation church".

Two things:

1. The day we launched I stood in front of the 154 people who showed up for that service and said, "This church exists for one purpose - To seek and to save those that are lost." I have to be honest and admit that phrase is not original. I read it in a book - a very good book. Those are the words Jesus used to sum up the whole purpose of his mission to earth. I figured if that was what he was about, maybe it's what his church should be committed to as well.

I am glad to report that we have not changed, nor morphed into anything different - maybe we just got a bit better at what we set out to do in the first place!

2. What the heck is "a salvation church"? I am tempted to go on a lengthy rant here, but will limit my comment to this - if indeed there are churches that do not have the salvation of lost men and women as their main focus and goal, those are not churches at all. They are bless-me social clubs.

Sadly I do know they exist!