My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Charlie Brown Christmas

I don't know about you, but I took half an hour last night to sit down and watch A Charlie Brown Christmas on ABC. Before the season is over, I will probably have watched It's A Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story and Miracle On 34th Street too.

Of course I know the plots by now and could virtually tell you what is coming next in the dialogue, but they're great stories that have become a part of our Christmas over the years. Thankfully we have them on DVD or video, so can watch them at our leisure without all the commercial breaks.

I love dear old Charlie Brown, wandering about dejectedly in the snow and wondering what on earth Christmas is really all about. Of course Linus finally provides the answer with his quote from Luke 2, but Charlie's problem is universal. But most people don't even ask the question anymore. They're just in shop, shop, shop mode, juggling to get everything done, harassed at the days passing so quicklly and why we have the holiday at all is almost completely forgotten.

One thing is sure - we're not doing it for Jesus!

So before I get totally into Grinch mode, here's what I'm excited about today. We're going to do our Christmas Grace Care outreach this afternoon. We'll be visiting five different rooming houses and sober houses in Patchogue, distributing turkey dinners, groceries, Christmas gifts and a lot of cheer.

When Jesus was born he identified with those who had nothing. Remember the stable? Today we get to share Christmas with those who have very little, with people whose lives have fallen apart and who are at different levels of putting them back together.

This is what Christmas is about - showing and sharing God's love. It really is a wonderful life. Charlie Brown take note!