My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

TAKING TIME

It only took four hours door to door to get from home to my hotel in DC, courtesy of the Delta Shuttle and a cab driver from Afghanistan who strangely did not shoot through the streets like a drag racer on drugs.

Getting off the plane in Ronald Reagan National Airport, I was hurredly following the signs for ground transportation when an interesting question came to my mind. Why am I rushing?

Given the choice of several flights to get down here, I had purposely planned this trip so I had a couple of hours in the city before my friends arrived. There was no reason to be racing around like a lunatic - so I slowed down and took my time.

After checking into the hotel I got changed, put on my sneakers and went for a leisurely walk in the sunshine, enjoying the temperature of near 80, which was a welcome change from the rain on Long Island. Spotting a familiar sight on a street corner among the other stores, I grabbed a cup of coffee courtesy of a certain company originating in Seattle.

I sat at a table on the sidewalk, watched the world go by and enjoyed the overpriced beverage. When it was done, I prepared to move on, but thought better of it and went back inside for a 55c refill.

Okay, I did make a few calls while I sat there, but apart from that, doing nothing was absolutely amazing. I must do it more often. Eventually I did get up and walk another couple of miles, but taking time to smell the coffee was even better than I expected.