My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

RESEARCH - SERIOUSLY!

Yesterday I heard about a pastor who had been forced from his church because people didn't like the fact that he used video clips and gleaned sermon material from other preachers.

I wish him well. That church will die and deserves to!

Forget the video clip part of this, I want to pass on some thoughts on how the better preachers do their research in 2006. I doubt if the church that's stuck in the dark ages has a problem every time its pastor quotes from Spurgeon or some other dead church leader from bygone days, but sadly they have not come to appreciate the commitment of a teacher who pulls all he can from past and present for their benefit.

There was a time when my sole study resources were books published before my mother was even born. I still have many of them, but in all honesty, I look more to living preachers to get further insight than to those who went to see Jesus some time before World War 1.

Does a church really want a pastor who sits in a room alone and scratches notes on paper without referring to some of the greatest communicators and teachers of our time? If I'm going to preach on marriage, giving, missions or whatever, trust me I care enough about the people I am accountable to, to see what far bigger men than I have to say on the subject too.

Man, most mega-church pastors have whole research teams to glean material for them, so I'll gladly plug into their resources until I have my own research team. I'll willingly accumulate ideas, quotes, stories, sometimes even a whole outline from sources I use on the internet or those whose podcats I listen to.

Inspiration is not just found in dusty volumes, it can be drawn from people who are out there getting the job done in our world right now.

Sometimes I prepare a message without opening a single book. I have Bibles and study books on my computer, plus access to an unlimited number of the world's best Bible teachers. It's the way it's done nowadays.

Welcome to the 21st Century!