My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

LONGEVITY

I find myself talking to an amazing number of pastors in the course of a week, both locally and from around the country - not to mention a few from overseas too. I think if you survive in ministry as long as I have (the fallout rate among pastors is huge!), it is automatically assumed that you know a thing or two. And who am I to tell them otherwise?

So what's the secret to longevity in ministry? Here are a few rambling thoughts in no particular order except for #1 ...

1. A happy, healthy and wholly supportive family.

2. Learn to be yourself.

3. Never take yourself too seriously.

4. Realize that you really are about God's work - it doesn't all depend on you, you just get to have a part in it.

5. Interact with those you are pastoring and with your peers - a lot.

6. Make time for yourself and the people that matter.

7. Never resign on a Monday.

8. Keep stretching yourself, keep learning, keep reading, never settle and think you've got this thing cracked - you haven't!

9. Trust people and enable them to function. Give them responsibility and let them run with it.

10. Pick yourself up again - often.

11. Maintain a worldview - the community you serve is a very small part of all that is happening on earth. Don't let it become your total world.

12. Stay motivated about what you are doing - or be doing stuff that motivates you.

13. Fire the board - let the pastors lead.

14. Drink plenty of coffee.

15. Root for the Mets!