My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

OLD FRIENDS

We took a drive into Manhattan this afternoon to cacth up with some old friends we had first met when I started getting involved with a homeless ministry there back in '94.

In those days you constantly watched your back down on the Lower East Side, where squatters had taken over abandoned buildings, Tompkins Square Park was a home for the homeless and the downright weird, and drug deals were going down on every corner.

Now it's full of yuppies, the squats have been demolished, there are dog runs in the Park and sidewalk cafes abound. I guess that's progress, but the old buzz has gone and it just doesn't feel the same!

My drive today across the Williamsburg Bridge and down into Alphabet City was for a very special reason, to dedicate a young couple's baby and celebrate with the family. I met Jackie and her family when they were living in a shelter after being driven from their home by a fire.

They came to us for food back then, stayed to help, got connected to Jesus and there was a real transformation in the household. I had married her mom and dad, who had been living together for years and so it was great to hook up with them again today, meet their first grandson and dedicate him to the Lord.

Great memories and lasting friendships from adventures on the street.