My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

MISSING HOME

When I first suggested to our pastoral team that I was considering taking our postponed August vacation in Scotland around New Year instead, I was looking at a ten days break. I chose to believe they were thinking of my best interest when they recommended I take a full two weeks, rather than just seizing the opportunity to get me out of their hair for an extra few days.

The problem is, I feel like I have been away for ages, despite the fact that it's barely seven days to the hour since we took off from JFK.

I'm a pretty motivated person, so taking some down time is very enjoyable, but totally unnatural. It's weird for me to get up in the morning without a whole host of things to cram into the day. However down time is meant to be good for you so I'm drifting through this vacation and getting to catch up with a lot of great people who have been friends for over thirty years.

We're not Scots by birth, but we spent so much of our lives in this part of the world that this town is like our family's home.

Having said that, Long Island has become the place where we feel we belong and the truth is we're missing New York!