My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

MY MAN PERRY

On Day Deux of the church planters' conference hosted by Mountain Lake Church in Cumming, GA, I checked the schedule and opted for a double dose of Perry Noble(http://www.perrynoble.com). This 35 year old pastor of one of America's fastest-growing churches - located in the middle of a field off a minor road in Anderson, SC - is an outstanding communicator and he really is getting the job done.

His church has gone from a handful of people to over 7,000 in just seven years and there's no question that his down-to-earth, totally non-religious style has played a great part in that growth. Gill and I took in a Sunday night service there at Newspring last July and the place rocks. Here's a link to their website - http://www.newspring.cc - sorry, Blogger has changed a few things and I can't work out how to do a proper hyperlink!!!

Here are a couple of bits and pieces I scribbled down from his talk -

FIVE THINGS A LEADER MUST ADMIT

1. I Must Champion The Vision
Most churches are like planes where the pilot has to go back to first class and ask for permission to follow a course of action. Then first class goes back to coach and makes sure everyone likes the idea. Meanwhile the plane crashes.
Leaders must lead and must drive the vision.
If you don't lead your church, Satan will.

2. I Cannot Please Everyone
Whatever you do, you will upset some people.
People will leave the church.
Things have to fall off the space shuttle for it to get into orbit.

3. I Must Fully Trust God
If you're taking risks you're going to have plenty of Oh crap! moments.

4. I Cannot Do Everything
Keep it simple for the church and for yourself.

5. I Am Not That Smart
Two solutions -
Follow Scripture
Talk to a lot of people who know what they're talking about


Perry's stuff was brilliant. As you can see I didn't really write a lot down, but that was by design as I wanted to be focused and take it in - plus I ordered the CD later of course!