My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Saturday, March 03, 2007

ADVENTURES IN WALKING

I spent some time in the Mall today, thankfully my first visit there for many, many months. I don't mind shopping to a degree, but Smithaven Mall is not my idea of a fun place to spend a few hours. To each his own!

Anyway, with Gill's birthday looming (Tuesday), I went looking for a gift that hopefully will make the day special for her. Sorry, no clues. She never reads my ramblings here, but you never know when she might become enlightened.

I was there over lunch time and so checked out the food court and decided that a slice of pizza was probably going to do the least damage. Yes you can actually eat pizza on WW! Once I had my food, I wandered around like a lost sheep looking for a table to sit at. There was none.

So I politely asked an old lady if I might use a chair across from her at a round table. She started chatting immediately and I remembered the small group teaching about listening to others - walking across the room. So I decided this might be a God moment. However ...

Within minutes she told me how good she looked for 66, could have any man she wanted and was the envy of every other female in the universe. At that point I remembered that in the book Just Walk Across The Room, Bill Hybels makes the point that sometimes your best efforts are ultimately fruitless.

Trust me, they were and you never saw a slice of pizza eaten so fast.