My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

CAN WE SAY SUCKS?

Down in the depths of the Bible-belt, there's a bit of a buzz going around about the latest advertising being done by GracePoint Church, Wichita, Kansas. Seems their billboard message is not at all appreciated by some.

The pastor of this five year old church, with over 400 in attendance every weekend, says he came up with the idea one Sunday when a young woman came to him after service and gave him her verdict on her first experience of GracePoint - This church doesn't suck!

I love the idea, but I haven't quite worked out whether the word "suck" is permissible. Is it a curse word? Personally I generally veer away from it and say something stinks instead, but I must admit I like this advertising.

It definitely says something to the people this church is looking to reach.