My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, March 05, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEX

Somewhere over on the other side of the world Rebekah Tait celebrated her 21st birthday today. Having arrived in Taiwan last week, she is adjusting to a whole new lifestyle and a myriad different sights, sounds, tastes and smells.

I have known Becky since she was born - heck, I married her mum and dad when I was younger than they both are now. Years ago at the end of a Sunday service this cute little curly-haired girl would insist on talking to me before she would go home. If I was busy with someone, she would wait and insist that she must say goodbye to me, show me the picture of the day she had drawn in children's church and often present it to me to take home.

Who would have guessed that same little girl would eventually become a student at Grays School of Art in Aberdeen, Scotland? She's way more than good at art and a gifted photographer too, retaining the curly hair (most of the time) and an impish smile too.

One of the beauties of life is watching the young develop and grow. To see children become independent adults, embracing their own values and setting their own course. Becky's a great person. We keep in touch through email and Gill and I get to spend time with her on our occasional return visits to Scotland.

Today our Becky's all growed up, studying in Asia for a semester and then who knows what?

My concern though is this, that if this baby is now 21, could it possibly be that Iam getting a bit long in the tooth myself?

Impossible!