My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

WHAT A CROWD!

Just finished a meeting with our ministry leaders. They're a great crowd. If anyone wants to see what is the secret to the strength of our church, they shouldn't be looking at the platform, they ought to cast an eye around our crowded living room tonight.

What an amazing group of dedicated volunteers, each heading up an area of ministry and every one of them totally committed to the vision of bringing unchurched people to a place of loving God, loving people and serving our world.

Tonight we pursued something Doug McIntyre raised in our leaders' training day last month. He asked the question "What would you do to fulfil the church's vision if an unexpected $100,000 was suddenly found in the church budget." After listing some good but predictable suggestions, Doug encouraged the leaders to think of some outrageous, irreligious answers.

We looked at those in detail tonight, bounced around the ideas and came up with some great innovative concepts to pursue. I love people with imagination. I thrive on pushing the limits. The status quo bores the pants off of me.

That's why I'm so glad to have a great group of God-loving, fun-loving people around me who are every bit as insane as I am!