My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Monday, June 11, 2007

SPREADING THE WORD

There is no question that one of the smartest things we have done in our brief history was to adopt KIDMO as our major kids' program last September.

I had no idea that this radical material even existed, but eager to discover something to take our children's ministry to the next level, I posted a question on an internet forum asking what was working for guys around the country. It seemed then that the universal response was KIDMO, duh!

Long Island is certainly not the Bible-belt. I have never heard it accused of being on the cutting edge of things Christian, so it is hardly surprising that the packaged antics of one Johnny Rogers were an unknown quantity in these parts.

We have double the number of children in church that we had this time last year (around 100 yesterday and that on a summer Sunday!) and there's no question that kids love coming.

I do think KIDMO should start paying us commission, as three other churches in this area have adopted the program on our recommendation. Yesterday we had folks from yet another church visit just to check what Charlotte had going on in Theater 2 for Grades 1 thro 6.

We're getting to the stage where we ought to have a designated Visitors' Gallery in KIDMO for the guests who come from elsewhere to see what it's all about.

We're happy to help them and to spread the word!