My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Lessons Learned On Broadway



I discovered this morning that while getting into and around Manhattan has got insanely difficult because of the transit strike, if you're in Manhattan already, the driving is the easiest it has been since the last time the Giants were in the Superbowl. The streets were uncannily quiet around mid-town, so getting home today was far more straightforward than I expected it to be.

Last night we went to see The Lion King. I found the tickets on the internet at a fairly good price and of course the old axim of you get what you pay for proved to be true once again. Our seats were up so far in the balcony section that I thought we could have been in Mile High Stadium.

But it's a great show - our anniversary treat - and Gill loved it, so I did good. Having been a preacher since I was thirteen years old, there's always this tendency for me to look at what is happening and see where it demonstrates some spiritual truth. I'm not saying I see God in everything, more like I'm always on the look-out for sermon illustrations.

There were dozens of them in this story. The lion cub goes away because of guilt, grows up far from home and does not become the king he was destined to be. He doesn't feel he is fit or capable, until one day he is taken back home and challenged to rise up to be the champion of his people.

Now if you're reading that and need it explained for you, you need to get a good church. Try Grace Church on Christmas Eve. If you need it explained and you are already part of Grace Church ... Houston we have a problem!

Thank God he pulled us from a wasted life to fulfil our potential.