My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

HOME JUST GOT BETTER

It was a relief to finally get off the plane last night and walk out into the chilly New York air, checking to ensure my car was still where I had left it in the long-term parking lot at JFK. It's always good to get home.

But on the drive back to Coram, something happened that makes home even better. I had been travelling since 3.30am and it was now 7.30pm, so I had heard no news all day. What a surprise to learn that South Dakota lawmakers had passed a bill to outlaw all abortions in the state except for when the mother's life is at risk.

Could it be possible that the slaughter of the innocents will finally be ended? Is there the prospect that this nation will take steps to protect the most vulnerable members of society - the unborn? Will the greatest stain on the conscience of America over the past 33 years at last be addressed? It seems that way and if getting back to Gill and everyone else I love was not enough - which of course it was - that piece of news made my day.

There will be an almighty battle in months to come. I certainly don't have all the answers. But I do know that killing babies is wrong.

Governor Mike Rounds is having his legal team check every aspect of the bill, but has already announced that he is "inclined" to sign it into law.

Yesterday this great nation took one small step to becoming greater. It's good to be home!