My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

THOUGHTS FROM THE TREADMILL

I have broken up my morning workout into two segments. It's easier on my mind to set the clock on the treadmill for 30 minutes and then repeat, than to do the 60 minutes straight. This also provides a brief breather in the middle and often a potty break too of course.

I had jogged 3.3 miles in the first half of my routine and was probably about a mile or so into the final part when my legs started feeling sore and I generally got the feeling I had had enough for the day.

Between them my body and my brain were sending me the message that they were done and I should call it a day. But they were lying!

After flirting with the idea for a while, I came to the conclusion that I was not going to die if I finished up properly, nor was I going to cause myself permanent injury. I could do this - I do it every day - and I proved both body and brain wrong by pressing on.

Sometimes we need to push ourselves and when the thought comes to mind, "I can't do that today", or "I'm too tired for that", or "I can't think about that", we need to work out who's going to call the shots.

This morning my body was telling me that what I was doing was not good for it - but it is.

How many times do we swallow that kind of lie?

I can't go to church today!

I don't have any energy for my small group!

I don't feel like helping Sunday morning!

I'm too tired to read the Bible!


So we don't do the things we really need to do!