My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

CHASING DAYLIGHT


Erwin McManus' book by this title was one of the better volumes I read last year (Go Big still ended the year in the #1 spot).

I thought about it this afternoon as we were driving back from Aberdeen (the nearest major city - some 42 miles from where we are staying) and noticed the sun starting to go down at around 3.00pm. I've checked the figures and in total there were 2.5 less hours of daylight here in the north east of Scotland today than on Long Island.

That makes for a short day! Sunrise was at 8.47am and sunset at 3.38pm. Seven hours of daylight and that was it!

Back to McManus whose main concept in the book is that from the moment we're born, we're heading towards our personal sunset and so need to take full advantage of every moment of the daylight that is our lives.

While 2007 has begun with me in relaxed, vacation mode, there is also an increasing sense of urgency that I am feeling and of destiny (if that's not too presumptuous a word) as our no-longer-infant church starts to look to the future.

What does God want us to be? What does he want us to do? What challenges do we need to rise to? What uncharted waters do we need to explore?