My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Friday, February 09, 2007

CUSTOMER SERVICE

India is a remarkable country, with some of the most obliging and capable people you could ever hope to meet. It's a place where they offer you tea or coffee when you walk into a store, treat you like you matter and don't talk on their cell phones while they're ringing you up at the checkout.

I brought some artwork with me to have banners made for our upcoming series and a few other odds and ends and could hardly believe the sequence of events. The graphics were given to the printer yesterday afternoon and by 9.00pm, I was looking at quality 8 x 6 banners, all good to go. How long would that take back home? And by the way, you get them here for around one twentieth of the price!

We went into a leather shop today and Gill was looking at jackets. They didn't have exactly what she was looking for in black, but explained apologetically that they could measure her, make it and have it delivered to us free of charge tomorrow - again at a fraction of the cost in the U.S.

Talk about customer service!

They're smart enough to know that they are here to serve people and that is something they do real well. It's not all about how good they look, how well their products are displayed or whether they themselves are having a good day. The store owners know they exist to meet the needs of the men and women who walk in the door.

That's a dying mentality in the west - sadly.

It's a dead mentality in the self-absorbed American church too. Mercifully in recent years God has been reminding a lot of people in our own country that our purpose has to be his purpose, which is to serve those that are lost.

Customer service needs to be our first priority.