My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

DEFINING THE WIN

We had a really good weekend with Douglas and Fiona McIntyre - apart from the fact that Gill's back started giving her serious problems, and still is.

I first met Doug in 1985 when I was putting together a planning group to bring German evangelist Reinhard Bonnke to our area, the north east of Scotland. I had never met him before, but had heard plenty about this 25 year old pastor who had established one of the largest charismatic churches in the country. In the end he did most of the work for Bonnke's visit, his church paid the lion's share of the bill and through it all or maybe in spite of it, we became friends.

Doug's a real focused kind of guy whose journey has taken him into the corporate world at some of the highest levels as well as all over the world as a preacher/teacher.

He has been an ideal guy for us to draw from in order to equip our ministry leaders for the future and our time with him on Saturday was certainly worthwhile. He did a great job of preaching on Sunday too!

One thing I have heard Doug comment on several times is that if most churches were businesses, they'd have closed years ago. He talks about the fact that companies are judged on results, but most churches don't know what they're trying to accomplish in the first place and so have no way to measure success.

He's dead right. Churches tend to be social clubs that exist for their own members and pay lip service only to having the slightest interest in seeing people come to faith in Jesus.

That's why it's important to define what constitutes a win, to know what we are endeavoring to accomplish. And if it's anything other than seeing lost people come to find the gift of eternal life, it's time to go back to the drawing board!