My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

THE END

Tomorrow afternoon Gill and I will be making our annual visit to one of our favorite places, Montauk on the easternmost tip of Long Island - The End.

We'll be there for a few days - though of course it's near enough to home for us to be able to get back for church on Sunday - on what I like to call my annual study break, which sounds far more holy than spending some time at the beach.

Through the kindness of some good friends, we have a great place to stay and nothing whatever to do (what is there to do in Montauk anyway???) except sit on the sands and read, which has created today's dilemna of working out what books to take with me and which to leave on my "books to be read shelf".

Here's what made the final cut -

THE INNOCENT MAN by John Grisham
I really need to finish this as I started it on the flight to India in February! I think I've forgotten the story so far!

THE BRAND GAP by Marty Neumeier
This is a marketing book, touted as Not just another book on brand. This is the only book you'll need to read in business, engineering or design school.

ORBITING THE GIANT HAIRBALL by Gordon MacKenzie
Subtitled A Corporate Fool's Guide To Surviving With Grace, this is a book about awakening and fostering creative genius.
I love this quote - If you go to your grave without painting your masterpiece, it will not get painted. No one else can paint it. Only you.

THE DIP by Seth Godin
I've read most of his stuff and this new book gets good reviews. It's short so that helps - A little book that teaches you when to quit and when to stick.

GROWING AN ENGAGED CHURCH by Albert Winseman
I was loaned this book by an attorney I have been getting to know. It's subtitled How To Stop Doing Church and Start Being The Church Again. Sounds my kind of stuff!

So that's it - sun tan lotion, sandals, beach chair and books. But remember, this is work and not vacation!!!