My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

GOD IN HOLLYWOOD

Thanks for the help in preparing my 150 word contribution to Saturday's Newsday. This is what I ended up sending them -

There are only two that stick in my mind right now. Morgan Freeman did a great job in Bruce Almighty and Evan Almighty, portraying God with a twinkle in his eye. I loved the character’s sense of humor and the absence of a big club to beat people up with. That’s the God I know, so I guess that’s why I’m drawn to the actor in the white suit, though I’m not sure why with all his money he doesn’t get his teeth fixed.

But the one portrayal of God I expect to remember for the rest of my life is
Jim Caviezel as Jesus, God in the flesh, in The Passion Of The Christ.

The way he depicted God coming to earth and dying for us hushed audiences around the world. It was a tough movie to watch, but in my opinion Caviezel is in a league of his own.