My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Saturday, July 07, 2007

RESPECT

What I am about to write may well identify me as a dinosaur, a throwback to an age long forgotten. But I don't really care - here's my beef ...

I remember the days when people stopped in the street as a funeral procession made its way past and men took of their headwear as a sign of respect. Not so today - at least not on Long Island.

I was part of a fairly large stream of cars traveling to a cemetery earlier today and was disgusted at the antics of a lot of other road users. Wouldn't it be courteous at a 4-way stop sign for other drivers to just wait and let the fineral cars through? Is it really necessary to cut into the line of mourners' vehicles at an intersection? Couldn't you just wait?

Why can't the oncoming traffic wait as the hearse and all the other cars turn into the Memorial Park?

I guess this is a different age - another world.

Sometimes I look back in longing!