My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

INDEPENDENCE DAY REFLECTIONS

So it's the 4th of July - again!

When we moved here in the summer of 1991 from the UK, I was looking forward to my first Independence Day in the USA. They don't have such a think back in the old country, because after all it was the Brits that the former colonists were breaking away from, so I was eager to participate in the revelry in my new homeland.

Since then, I've always enjoyed the 4th.

+ We went to the parade in Patchogue this morning - God bless the vets, we owe them so much.

+ It was incredible to see how many fire trucks they have in Patchogue, each of them sparkling as they made their was slowly along Main Street, lined with flag waving onlookers.

+ Later came North Patchogue's fleet. Couldn't help wondering if we really need all those fire trucks.

+ There were a lot of children around. It's great to teach kids to celebrate their country.

+ Our friend Lynn Swart, visiting from the UK. mistook My Country Tis Of Thee for God Save the Queen and stood sharply to attention when she heard it.

+ I think it's meant to be warmer than this on the 4th of July.

+ Someone wandering along with one of the floats gave me a string of beads, remeniscent of New Orleans on mardi gras, but I assure you my t-shirt had not moved.

+ We were anticipating going to the concert at Bald Hill tonight, but unless it warms up considerably, music under the stars may have to give way to Evan Almighty at Island 16.

+ Saw a great poster on one float. It read - Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all who threaten it.

+ This is a great country. I don't just live here any more, I am in fact an American. So now I celebrate Independence Day with an appreciation of all that was done to bring us this far.