My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

IT'S OFFICIAL - WE'RE NOT FOR REAL

Dear old Pope Benedict XVI - the German guy you never hear about who followed the most popular Pope in history - has officially ruled that any church other than the Roman Catholic church is not for real.

He approved a document released Tuesday that says Orthodox churches are defective and that other Christian denominations were not true churches. It was the second time in a week the pope has corrected what he says are erroneous interpretations of the Second Vatican Council, the 1962-65 meetings that modernized the church.

On Saturday, Benedict revisited another key aspect of Vatican II by reviving the old Latin Mass. Traditional Catholics cheered the move, but more liberal ones called it a step back from Vatican II.

He reckons people like us are "merely ecclesial communities and therefore did not have the 'means of salvation.'"

It has been interesting to read some of the horrified response in the protestant press, though heaven knows why anyone should be surprised. Whatever its public image, the Roman Catholic Church has always been totally immovable at the core. Their concept of Christian unity is that everyone comes back home to Poppy.

I know some wonderful Catholics who are great Christians, but Catholicism is fundamentally flawed. It is full of heresy, to say nothing of the corruption that shields perverts in the priesthood worldwide.

So if Benedict reckons we're not for real, I'll wear that as a badge of honor, because I'd never want to be associated with his concept of reality.