My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

TOMMY

I don't generally do hospital visits as we have an outstanding team - the Barnabas Network - who thrive in that environment. I long since gave up trying to do everything for everybody in and around our church.

But I do occasionally make an exception.

That's why I drove down to Brookhaven Hospital this afternoon and spent a few minutes in the Stroke Unit with a guy I hardly know.

Tommy has worshiped with us for the past six Sundays. He committed his life to Christ seven weeks ago and a friend suggested he visit our church as a possible place where his faith could grow. Tommy's a biker and it seems what helped him make the decision was that we were doing our Catmo County Choppers series at the time and his friend told him we had bikes lined up outside the front door and even one up by the preacher.

He hasn't missed a Sunday since - until this past weekend when he lay in hospital with the left side of his body paralyzed.

Tommy's afraid, anxious and wondering what the future holds, but there is no doubt in his mind that God holds him. As I prayed with him this afternoon, I was so glad that we did the CCC series. So glad that Tommy's at home with us as a church (he loves not needing to dress for church!).

Will you take a moment to encourage Tommy as he moves into rehab?

Go buy a card, write a note to let him know you're praying for him and mail it to Tommy, care of me.

Thanks for taking a moment for one of our newest friends.