My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Get Off My Back

The first phone call I got this morning was from out of state. The caller had a complaint - it's Thursday morning and you've still got Tuesday's blog up! It was suggested that I was messing up this individual's morning routine because whenever he switches on his computer in the mornings one of the first things he does is to check my latest meanderings.

So for the benefit of my Texan son and anyone else who seriously needs to get a life, I'll pause for a few moments in my efforts to finish Saturday night's sermon and commit a few thoughts for the day to this blank page in cyberspace.

One of the things I said from Day One of Grace Church was that if you were looking for a full-service church that could offer you a program of some kind every day of the week, you really do need to look somewhere else. There's no doubt in my mind that if we isolate ourselves from the society we are meant to be influencing, they'll go to hell while we sit in our holy huddles.

That's why I adopted the 1-1-1-1 plan. I think it was original, but who knows? - Maybe I heard it some place. We look for folks to come to one worship service, be part of one small group, be involved in one area of serving and undertake one missions trip a year.

That leaves tons of spare time (somewhere!) to get to know unchurched people, connect with them and help to draw them to start this Christian journey themselves.

Which brings me back to why I started blogging. Because we are not heavily programmed, we don't see as much of each other as might have been the case in other church settings many of us have known. So my blog is a way to stay connected.

I can pass on breaking news, remind everyone of upcoming events and even have some fun and be ridiculous when there's nothing serious to say.

Some days I just can't get to it - but most days I do. So if I miss a few, please excuse me ... and get off my back!!!