My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

LOOKING GOOD

Whilst having lunch with a friend who pastors in this area, we had a brief conversation about contemporary churches in Suffolk County. Let me explain how it went and you'll probably understand why it was brief -

How many contemporary churches do you know in the county?

Well, there's you, us and xyz - that's three.


That was it! There weren't a lot of churches to talk about, just the stark realization that over 1.5 million people have the choice of the Catholic Church, traditional denominational or non-denominational churches and little else.

I thought that was exciting. It is like a shoe salesman coming across a whole culture of bare-footed people. All he has to do is convince them of the advantages and there before him is an enormous market.

What a great place this is to build relevant, contemporary, people-based church! Hardly anyone else is doing it so the sky's the limit.