My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

WHO'S HOT?

Good news - the heating system in our movie theater has been fixed, so we are able to get back to normal this coming weekend. Seems there was a small fire in one of the boilers and then there were fears of a gas leak, thus the last-minute news that we couldn't get in there last week.

There's something of an irony in the fact that while service was cancelled here through lack of heat, Gill and I were sweating throughout the morning as I preached at Covenant Blessings Church in Goa, India. It was around 95!

The congregations there are both growing - one in the town of Cangalute where we were staying and the other in Vasco, around 45 minutes from there.

This is tourist season in this vacation state and it seems that Cangalute is to the British what Port St. Lucie is to New Yorkers. It's the snowbirds' winter hangout where anyone under the age of 374 feels very much out of place. I have never seen so many Brits abroad - what a scarey looking bunch!

Anyway, as I say the churches there are thriving, but since so many of their members have to work Sundays throughout the main tourist season, it was decided to have a joint service when we were there. There were still over 100 worshipers and it was great to see them all again (this was my fourth visit to Goa). Encouraging the pastor there is an excellent investment of time and energy.