My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

THE GOOD IS ALWAYS THE ENEMY OF THE BEST

Some time last year my wife came back from a trip to one of her favorite stores and proudly presented me with a brand new pair of designer slippers that she had just bought for pennies in a sale.

That was all good and well, but I hadn't asked for new slippers, didn't want new slippers and was more than comfortable with the slightly stained and battered pair already on my feet that only had just over 30,000 miles on the clock.

Why was she doing this to me?

What to do?

Liar that I am, I smiled, thanked her profusely, complimented her on her shopping skills and tried them on. To my dismay they were a perfect fit and all I could do was watch broken-heartedly as my dear old moccasin-style friends were dispatched to the garbage, never to be seen again. It was an unceremonious end to two dear friends.

But many months later, I love my new slippers. They are comfortable, look half-decent and are a little sturdier for times when I wear them in the yard or even on a quick trip to the store for some milk.

Turns out to have been a very good switch even though I didn't like it at the time.

And the point of the story is?????? .....

We got word today that the developers who have been fighting for a zoning change to erect housing on our movie theater site finally got what they were after. They will be closing on Patchogue UA and the acreage around it some time in the next few months and the theater itself will then be closing.

Looks like it will soon be time to leave the comfortable old theater and move into something newer. We don't have any details yet as to when this will all happen, but it will probably be this summer.

So we will be Church At The Movies at a different movie theater some time soon. There are two theaters within six miles of where we worship now and both would be available, so we're starting to look into the options that are open to us.

A newer, cleaner and brighter facility will enhance all we are doing, even though at the moment I still love the old place we've had for almost four years.

But then, the good is always the enemy of the best!