My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

JOB OFFER

I filled out a job application yesterday for the first time in forty years, but it didn't cause me any anxiety as I was told it's just a formality anyway as I've got the post.

Now I won't be giving up my day job or detracting from it at all, but for 90 minutes on my day off, instead of sitting in a Weightwatchers class, I'm going to be leading one. I figure I'm there anyway, so I may as well accept their invitation and teach the group.

After I've done some training, I'm going to slot into their schedule somewhere on a Monday and I'm thrilled at the prospect. It's not that I can just help others reach their goals, it's more that I'll have the opportunity to interact regularly with 20-30 people most of whom don't know Jesus yet.

Pastors tend to spend most of their time with Christians - and I have no complaint about that. But the nature of what we do means we have to make special efforts if we are to get alongside good people who are not yet believers. And this looks like a golden opportunity.

I don't intend to preach in my group, heck they'd fire me, but I do hope to show and share the love of Jesus.