My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Friday, April 06, 2007

GOOD FRIDAY

While no one would ever accuse me of being a rabid traditionalist, there's a conflict going on inside today. I hope it's not just another evidence of aging, as a sad old man contemplates the disappearing past, but I do wonder if we haven't lost out somewhere by allowing Good Friday to become just another day.

I remember (this is the bit I'm scared of, because my grandfather used a lot of sentences that started this way) thirty or forty years ago when this was a holiday. Not a holiday to go wait on line at Kohls early for outstanding bargains, but an old-fashioned holiday when the stores were all closed and a lot of people went to church.

We used to have a Good Friday morning service where we'd focus on the events being marked that day and celebrate communion together.

I think one of the most meaningful Good Fridays I ever had was when as a teenager I went with a friend to a Church where his father was the pastor and enjoyed a three hour service they had from noon until 3.00pm. The Bible says that darkness covered the earth during those hours of Jesus hanging on the cross. We spent that afternoon in a pattern of hymns, readings and meditation that was very meaningful.

Fast forward to Good Friday 2007 and there's still a to do list for Sunday - not much left on it, but a few things.

But later this afternoon I'm going to pull away from all that, read the Biblical accounts of the death of Jesus and pray for a while. It might not be a holiday, but I don't need official permission to remember what Jesus did for me on this special day.

I recommend you making some time for him today too.