My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

LEARNING TO LEAD

After church tomorrow I'm heading out to darkest New Jersey for a training course for Weight Watchers' leaders. I figure I'll learn some things there that will help me in church leadership too.

Why bother, you may ask! Don't I have enough to do?

Trust me, I have more than enough to do and with the September relaunch in a whole new location, it gets overwhelming at times - I was wide awake at 2.00am today thinking about advertising, equipment, etc, but here's why I'm doing it ...

+ If I'm healthier I can serve God better. So if I can encourage others to a healthier lifestyle, their quality of life should improve too.

+ I spend too much of my time with church folks, who are all wonderful people of course, but are not our primary target. Leading a WW meeting every week will help me connect with a whole bunch of new people and maybe I can help them realize they were made for a purpose. Perhaps I can guide them towards spiritual wholeness as well as physical well-being. Well, at least that's my prayer.

+ So Paramus, here I come!

And if you want to check out before and after pictures - look here http://wheresthefatguy.blogspot.com/