My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, July 15, 2007

MIDDLE OF NOWHERE

So here I am sitting in Starbuck somewhere near Paramus, New Jersey - wherever that is.

I know the Bronx is about fifteen minutes down the road, but then again I really don't have any idea of how to find my way around there either.

I'm a bit weary after six hours of leadership training with a group of potential WW leaders and it looks like the next couple of days will be pretty full too - 8.00 am start for tomorrow's first class.

I learned a good lesson today.

I was reminded of the importance of understanding that everyone's experience is different, but all are valid. There are two people on this course whose great achievement is to have lost 15lb in weight. I must confess to being more than a little cynical when I heard that - I have eaten sandwiches bigger than that!

But then I heard one of them tell her story. She had slowly started to gain weight and when she was 15lb over what she should have been, she decided to do something about it and joined WW. As I heard that, I realized her story is as valid as mine and her success may be greater than mine. She did not wait until she was out of control, she saw a trend and reversed it.

Great life lesson there - everyone's experience is different, but all are significant.