My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

ELECTION DAY IS NEARING

If the Town of Brookhaven that we live in was a city, it would be the 33rd largest metropolis in the USA, bigger than places like Atlanta, New Orleans and Miami.

And two weeks from today the half million people who live in the townships that make up Brookhaven will have the opportunity to elect a new Town Board. Incredibly few more than 25% of them will actually show up at a polling place.

When I was learning the right answers for my interview with the INS to determine whether I could become an American citizen, I read that the top response to the question "What are the benefits of becoming a U.S. citizen?" is expected to be "Having the right to vote."

Seems like thousands of people have lost sight of what a privilege it is to live in a democracy, but with a lot at stake for churches in this area, I hope that churchgoers at least will not be found wanting.

I spent an evening with the Republican candidates tonight as a guest of Robert DiCarlo who is standing for Supervisor (that's like the mayor to the uninitiated!) and had a good chat with several of them. I am very impressed with Roberta Owens who would become the first African American member of the Town Board and who is also a very committed Christian.

I can't vote for her as she's not in my district, but I'm not complaining as we have a great candidate in our district - Jane Bonner.

I voted already as I will be in India on election day, but you can be sure I'll be impatiently awaiting word of the outcome.