My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

SUNDAY REFLECTIONS

+ Seems to have been a long day, so I'm tired, but very content too.

+ Service went well this morning. The band did a great job and so did Lesaya, teaching Part 6 of our marriage series.

+ Gill's friend joined us again. She generally arrives late as she goes to mass with her husband first.

+ Robert DiCarlo spent the morning with us and met a number of people. I like the guy and think he'll make a very good Town Supervisor - quite apart from the fact that he will repeal the antic-church legislation Tim Mazzei brought in two years ago, so we can go ahead and build.

+ You probably figured out already that Tim Mazzei's arrrogant indifference to the Christian community annoys me. He single-handedly stopped the construction of places of worship in a town of half a million people. His day will come. Ultimately it is not me or the electorate he answers to.

+ Great lunch for new folks. They do some very good food at Bruno's. It was amazing to look across the room and see so many people we did not know six weeks ago! God is sending some outstanding people to help us in our mission.

+ I met a couple of folks today who had moved to or back to the Island and had been looking in vain for a church like the one they had known when they lived elsewhere. Then they found us. Our style isn't that remarkable in most places in this country, but ion the spiritual desert that is Long Island, we're kind of unique.

+ Went to the gym late today and was probably too kind to myself. Just did five miles instead of the normal eight. Will have to make up for that in the morning.

+ Today we started handing out the invitations for our next series - MIRACLES - Expect The Unexpected. It's a four weeks series on the miracles of Jesus and the invitations are coasters. I'm passing a thousand or two of them on to Doug And Doreen at Bruno's, which seems to be the main watering hole in Ronkonkoma. So their patrons will put their beers on coasters advertising out church! I love it!