My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Friday, October 12, 2007

MARK THE MONTH

I figured this would be a good time to make sure everyone who visits this place is aware of the fact that October is Pastor Appreciation Month and that while mugs, pens, keyrings and pictures that say kind things about a pastor are very gratefully received, you really can't beat a check with several zeros after the first digit.

Just kidding! Please read on ...

I have real problems with this whole concept and a bunch of questions.

Who had the right to make the declaration that this is Pastor Appreciation Month in the first place?
Thanksgiving was established by Presidential decree, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this one was thrown in there by the Christian version of Hallmark, wanting to make another buck or two off our consumer society.

Why should pastors get a whole month?
My father worked three jobs to put bread on the table for his five kids. He hardly ever had a day off let alone a vacation and for all that effort there was one snivelling day a year designated in his honor - Fathers Day - and the truth is that always fell a poor second to Mothers Day (again a single day).

Do pastors really not feel appreciated?
If that's the case, a mug that declares - I Love My Pastor - probably isn't going to solve the problem. It will more likely find it's way to the back of some kitchen cupboard, or it would in my house anway. I much prefer the one that is sitting beside my keyboard right now that reads - Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much. I bought this one myself!
I talk to a lot of pastors and I know too many unhappy pastors and a Band-Aid won't fix it for them, nor will a gift certificate for the local Christian bookstore. Some of them just need to put themselves and their families out of their misery, go get another job and let the church they're in continue to die, but without their help.

A PLEA
Please don't buy into the Pastors Appreciation Month nonsense. I don't want anyone I know to mention it, ackowledge it or do anything about it. Here's why -

I already know that I am appreciated every month of the year.

+ Whenever someone brings a guest to our church, they are saying they value what we are doing.

+ When a driver pulls our truck into the movie theater parking lot before daylight on a Sunday morning he's showing he appreciates what we're about.

+ When people open their homes to host a small group, clean the floor when everyone has left on a Sunday, arrange vacation so they don't miss a service, volunteer to teach our kids, brew countless cups of coffee in our cafe, run copies of CDs, or do any one of a hundred other tasks, I know I'm appreciated.

Truth is, I'm spoiled rotten by the most wonderful people I've ever known who constantly support, encourage and motivate me.

Hallmark can go bust for all I care, I'm already appreciated and I know it.