My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

OZ?

Someone asked me today if I am Australian - a question that comes my way so often it makes me wonder what it is that gives folks the idea.

I don't carry a boomerang, own a pet kangaroo, drink excessive amounts of beer, say "G'day" to everyone I meet or trace my ancestry back to criminals deported from the UK.

I guess it's because my accent is messed up. Not pure English and definitely not Brooklyn - simply, rural English, a hint of Scots and a trace of Long Island, New York. If you think that makes me sound like my uncle has shares in Outback, so be it!

Truth is I look upon myself as American.

I'm a U.S. citizen, my home is here, my heart is here and my future is here - until my eternal future kicks in of course.

And of course, this is a great country.

So call me what you will, American is what I am!