My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

THAT WAS IT!

Okay the vacation's over!

Since I didn't get to go to Texas this week, as originally planned, I decided to take a couple of days off while here at home and help my daughter painting a room in her house. The truth is, you don't have to be sitting on a beach at some exotic destination to get a break - though that would always be my first choice - it's often refreshing just to do something completely different.

I would have to admit that painting is not my first love and I'm not really that great at it, but when I left her house tonight, our handiwork looked pretty sharp and the room was transformed. It was fulfilling, but I won't give up my day job!

I'm not the best person in the world at relaxing. I think I have more than a little ADHD going on, which of course is not uncommon in church planters, so I tend to be thinking and talking church 24/7. I seldom totally switch off, but I have done pretty much this past couple of days.

A paint brush in your hand and Mike and The Mad Dog on the radio takes you about as far away from ecclesiastical pursuits as you could ever plan to be. So though tired, I'm refreshed.

I thoroughly recommend a day or so in a totally different situation.