My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Friday, December 30, 2005

Supercool People Of The Year

360 days ago our pastoral team sat around a table and made some plans for the year ahead. There are now less than 40 hours of 2005 remaining - that time went by quickly and looking back, it has been an excellent year for Grace Church.

There are people who are part of our church family today who did not really know Jesus at all this time last year and we have been able to make some contribution to the lives of many different people who live near and far.

So instead of our normal Friday Supercool Person Of The Week spot, today I am reflecting on the year that is almost over and think this would be a good time to salute our Supercool Persons Of The Year.

So who are they? Who are the people who have earned the right to be the very first winners of this prestigious annual award on this blog?

Let me say this first, I don't have a job - I have a life. Building up people and developing church is my life. It's what I think about from first thing in the morning until last thing at night. I read all I can, talk with other pastors, moderate an internet forum for thousands of pastors, all with one goal in mind - I want Grace Church to fulfil the purposes for which God raised it up. We need to be as effective as we can possibly be in leading men and women to Christ. On a personal note, the bottom line is this, I love my life. I thank God for the privilege of doing what I am doing. But I could never do this alone.

My Supercool People Of The Year are all those who are a part of Grace Church. Please notice that I'm making a distinction here that many will have heard from me before. I'm not referring to everyone who comes to our services, though I'm thankful for the opportunity to be a part of all of their lives too. I'm talking about those who are a part of Grace Church.

I mean all the individuals who function in some way to make it possible for us to do what we can do. Those who have come in, embraced our mission and asked Where can I fit in? I am grateful for those who, in the words of the New Testament, are doers and not just hearers.

The list could go on for ever, but it extends from the guys who pick up food for our Grace Care Food Pantry to the people who run the sound board on Sundays, from those that open their homes for small groups to those who help in our Smallstars nursery during services. And it goes off in dozens of other directions too.

We have more than 400 volunteer slots filled at Grace and it is those 400+ who have been the key to a good year during which the kingdom of God has been built and the purpose of our church has continued to be realized - To seek and save the lost, inspiring them to become fully functioning followers of Jesus.

They are my Supercool People Of The Year!