My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Friday, December 23, 2005

TGIF

I guess the TGIF thing is all about celebrating the weekend, but as someone who has been busy every Saturday and Sunday of his working life, the TGIF sigh has never been part of my routine.

One good thing about my Fridays is that I do know what to do with the blog - it's Supercool Person of The Week time and America is waking up early today to see who will win this sought after honor on this Christmas weekend. So, the votes are in, the numbers are being tallied and the result of our nationwide ballot comes down to this ...

Over the past seven days we have distributed Christmas gifts to more than 125 people, many of whom will receive few, if any, other presents this Christmas. They have gone to people we meet through our Grace Care mobile soup kitchen in rooming houses and sober houses in Patchogue, to young women in jail in Brentwood and to the folks from Ridge Adult home who worship with us regularly.

Each person received a gift bag with at least three items in it and a bag of Christmas candy. So once the sizes are in, who is the hero who goes off to the stores to look for almost 400 items of clothing? Who looks for 97 medium sweat shirts, 122 large, 46 extra large, etc., etc.?

Who does all this with a budget of $2,000 and comes up with gifts that are tremendously appreciated? Who organizes them all? Who approaches all this effort with real love, just longing to bring blessing to the Christmas of those who are forgotten by most?

Since I hate shopping to start with, who is our Christmas Hero as well as the Supercool Person of The Week?

It's Marie Faulkner who once again this year put a smile on the faces of some very special people who are friends of Grace Church. She did a great job at a very busy time of year and she really has helped us make a difference in the lives of people who are very important.

And if she doesn't see this herself, please don't mention it to her as I'll be in trouble for saying something publicly about all the work she has done!