My Photo
Name:
Location: Long Island, New York, United States

I'm the lead pastor of a great and very unconventional church - Church At The Movies, with campuses in Ronkonkoma and Mastic, NY - and I love doing what I do. We have hundreds of fellow radicals in our congregations who, like me, are committed to doing church for the unchurched. Totally apart from my church involvement, I work a few hours a week as a Weight Loss Consultant for Weight Watchers, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

CHRISTMAS AGAIN?


Here we go with the annual conundrum - How is it that when I was a kid it took at least three hundred and forty seven years before Christmas came around again, whereas now it occurs every second weekend?

Now, I must admit there's not a lot I do towards Christmas in the Blackmore household, even though it's my favorite holiday. Gill has already bought most of the presents, wrapped them and mailed the packages that had to go to other countries. All I need to do is refrain from asking What was it? when someone thanks us for a gift!

She will do the cards too, though she reckons she'll cut back on those this year and Gill will decorate the house - inside that is. All I will do is bring the countless boxes of lights, decorations and heaven knows what else up from the basement.

Lest it be thought I am a total slacker, there are two contributions that I will make. I'll string a few lights or whatever outside the house and I will also prepare and cook the Christmas dinner. The former is a pain in the buttocks, but the latter I thoroughly enjoy.

I just realized this week I need to get Christmas stuff rolling for church too, so I've booked some advertising space in a couple of local papers, have politely requested the assitance of my designer son in preparing the ads, have dropped off invitation cards at the printer for overprinting.

Christmas Eve last year was a blast and I expect it to be huge this year. We're going for a 4.00pm start and while in '05 our Christmas service was second only to Easter in attendance for the year, This year I'm looking to surpass Easter.

It's a great time to make connections and share good news - the happ, happiest season on earth - it just came too quickly!